We have the means to help regional community foundations and other charitable groups as affiliated organizations. These Geographic Affiliates and Supporting Organizations remain somewhat independent but receive administrative and investment services.
A supporting organization, also known as a "supporting foundation", is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization formed to support the work of another charitable organization. It is a distinct legal entity affiliated with the Eau Claire Community Foundation, by both its purposes and its operations. A supporting organization can be classified as a public charity, even if their is only one donor or family of donors.
Supporting Organization Advantages:
In someways, a charitable entity called a "supporting organization" functions like a private foundation, however:
- It qualifies for the tax considerations reserved for public charities.
- It also qualifies for the preferential tax treatment afforded community foundations when appreciated or closely-held stock is used to establish it.
- It may have its own letterhead, checkbook, and investment manager and may publish its own annual report.
- The board of supporting organization decides when and to whom grants will be given.
For individual donors, supporting organizations are an excellent way to gain the participation and visibility traditionally associated with a private foundation without the paperwork or overhead. For private foundations concerned about continuity or maintaining their impact, supporting organizations provide a simple, effective way of ensuring that the foundation's mission is not eroded by time and overhead.
Because of the Supporting Organization's association with the Eau Claire Community Foundation:
- Gifts to the supporting organization are accorded a greater tax deduction that those given to a private foundation.
- Overhead costs are cut and expensive software programs are not necessary.
- Administrative responsibilities are reduced.
- Policies and agreements are provided.
- Additional visibility is gained through Executive Director and Foundation support.
Eau Claire Public Schools Foundation enhances the quality of education in the Eau Claire Area School District.